Interpreting Your Results

What grades are available in each qualification?

On your Provisional Statement of Results you will see a number of grades, letters, numbers and symbols. The following table shows the grades available for each qualification.



GCE A Level

A*, A, B, C, D, E

GCE AS Level

A, B, C, D, E

GCE A Double Award

A*A*, A*A, AA, AB, BB, BC, CC, CD, DD , DE , EE

GCE AS Double Award

AA, AB, BB, BC, CC, CD, DD , DE , EE


A*, A, B, C*, C, D, E, F, G

GCSE Double Award Science

A*A*, A*A, AA, AB, BB, BC*, C*C*, C*C, CC, CD, DD, DE, EE, EF, FF, FG, GG

VRQ (formerly QCF)

Level 3, Level 2, Level 1, Entry Level 3, Entry Level 2

Occupational Studies

Level 2

Level 1



NI Key Skills (includes Wider Key Skills)

Pass, Level Not Achieved (LNA) for each Level: 
Level 2, Level 1

Entry Level

Entry Level 3, Entry Level 2, Entry Level 1


Level 3

What does Q / X / U Grade mean?




means query. There may be circumstances when your results are incomplete because of a query over some or all of your results. If this is the case, a Q will be reported on your provisional statement of Results until the query is investigated and resolved. Once a query is resolved, you will be issued with an updated result. We have provided your school/college with an explanation for this status.


means incomplete results. This could be because requirements of the specification have not been met. Please contact your centre for more details. An X in CoPE means that you were absent.


means ungraded. This means you have not reached the minimum standard required to achieve a grade in the qualification or have zero marks or were absent. This result will not be recorded on your certificate..

On a GCE statement, what is the letter in brackets beside the uniform marks?

This is the notional grade achieved in the unit.

The notional grade is an indication of how you have performed on an individual unit and not the overall grade awarded in the qualification.

CCEA provide further information on the relationship between uniform marks and notional grades.

My name has been mis-spelt on my statement of results. Can I get this changed?

Yes. Please ask the Examinations Officer at your centre to contact our Entries section to make this change. It is essential that your Examinations Officer contacts us as soon as possible before the certificates are issued. After your certificate is issued it will not be possible to change the name on it.

A* grade at A Level: your questions answered