GCE Further Mathematics (2018)
The CCEA GCE Further Mathematics specification aims to encourage deeper understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes. It assumes knowledge of Higher Tier GCSE Mathematics and GCE Mathematics.
Students explore pure mathematics, including further algebra and functions, complex numbers, matrices, vectors, further calculus, hyperbolic functions and differential equations. They also investigate applied mathematics, including mechanics, statistics, and discrete and decision mathematics.
Studying GCE Further Mathematics gives students opportunities to extend their range of mathematical skills and techniques. They will be able to apply mathematics in other fields of study and develop awareness of how mathematics is relevant to the world of work. This qualification gives students a sound basis for progression to higher education and to employment.
This specification is available at two levels: AS and A2. Students can take the AS units plus the A2 units for a full GCE A level qualification. They can also choose to take the AS course as a stand-alone qualification.
The specification has four units:
- Unit AS 1: Pure Mathematics
- Unit AS 2: Applied Mathematics
- Unit A2 1: Pure Mathematics
- Unit A2 2: Applied Mathematics.
Skills developed through our GCE Further Mathematics
This specification builds on learning from Key Stage 4 and gives students opportunities to continue to develop the Cross-Curricular Skills and the Thinking Skills and Personal Capabilities.
Students develop the ability to:
- understand coherence and progression in mathematics and how different areas of mathematics are connected;
- apply mathematics in other fields of study and be aware of the relevance of mathematics to the world of work and to situations in society in general;
- reason logically and recognise incorrect reasoning;
- generalise mathematically;
- construct mathematical proofs;
- use their mathematical skills and techniques to solve challenging problems that require them to decide on the solution; and
- recognise when they can use mathematics to analyse and solve a problem.
Treoir Ghasta ar an Churaclam do Thuismitheoirí
Cur síos ar a mbeadh súil leis agus do pháiste ag tosú ar an bhunscoil agus/nó ar an iar-bhunscoil.
Lost your CCEA exam certificates? Information and help with replacement certificates, certified statement of results and/or updating your details.
Quick Guides to the Curriculum for Parents
What to expect when your child starts primary and/or post-primary school. Download our resource(s).
- Published: 20/01/2020, 12:00pmRead More