Woven in Ulster: Ulster-Scots and the Story of Linen
Lesson 3: The Yarn is Woven
This lesson develops pupils’ understanding of the weaving process in the past and present through an artistic task and engagement with video demonstrations. Pupils have an opportunity to carry out their own weaving and will understand that weavers, including those from the Ulster-Scots community, were highly skilled.
woven warp weft hand shuttle bleach greens
- develop creative and artistic skills through a practical task allowing them to weave a colourful table mat;
- understand the terms horizontal, vertical, parallel and perpendicular;
- explore problem solving strategies when designing a table mat;
- know the difference between the warp and weft threads in weaving;
- understand the weaving process by observing a video-based demonstration of handloom weaving; and
- know that over time the weaving process has been developed through innovations such as mechanisation and computerisation.
Links to Curriculum
Suggested Websites & Resources