World Religions other than Christianity
Why do world religions have sacred writings and symbols?
Overall Learning Intentions
In this unit pupils are learning to appreciate why we have symbols in everyday life, understand the importance of symbols used within a world religion, explore the sacred writings within a world religion and explain and assess the importance of sacred writings to a world religion.
Links with Key Elements
Cultural Understanding – exploring the origins and practices of a world religion other than Christianity.
Skills and Capabilities
Cross Curricular Skills:
- Communicate information, meaning, feelings, imaginings and ideas in a clear and organised way.
Thinking Skills and Personal Capabilities: Focus - Thinking, Problem-Solving and Decision Making
- Sequence, order, classify and make comparisons;
- Generate possible solutions, try out alternative approaches, and evaluate outcomes.
- show deeper understanding by thinking critically and flexibly, solving problems and making informed decisions;
- work effectively with others;
- communicate effectively in oral, visual, written and ICT formats, showing clear awareness of audience and purpose.