World Religions other than Christianity
Why do world religions have festivals?
Overall Learning Intentions
In this unit pupils are learning to define the term festival; to identify the key festivals celebrated in a world religion; to explain how key festivals are celebrated in a world religion and to appreciate why these festivals are important.
Links with Key Elements
Cultural Understanding - exploring how religious practices have influenced the development of various cultural traditions.
Mutual Understanding - developing a range of skills to promote sensitivity and empathy when discussion religious issues.
Skills and Capabilities
Cross Curricular Skills:
- Find, select and use information from a range of sources;
- Develop, express and present ideas in a variety of forms and formats, using traditional and digital resources, for different audiences and purposes.
- Using ICT (if appropriate)
- Create, develop, present and publish ideas and information using a range of digital media;
Thinking Skills and Personal Capabilities: Self-Management
- set personal targets and review them;
- organise and plan how to go about a task;
- review learning and some aspect that might be improved.
- research and manage information effectively to investigate religious, moral and ethical issues;
- demonstrate self-management by working systematically, persisting with tasks, evaluating and improving own performance;
- communicate effectively in oral, visual, written and ICT formats showing clear awareness of audience and purpose.