Links to Northern Ireland Curriculum
This resource helps meet the aims and objectives of the Northern Ireland Curriculum by:
- Developing Pupils’ Knowledge, Understanding and Skills
Pupils should have opportunities to become critical, creative and effective communicators by:
- expressing meaning, feelings and viewpoints;
- interpreting visual stimuli including the moving image;
- analysing critically their own and others’ texts;
- using a range of techniques, forms and media to convey information creatively and appropriately.
- Developing Pupils’ Thinking Skills & Personal Capabilities
- Adapt information
Thinking, problem solving, decision making:
- Analyse multiple perspectives
- Make decisions
- Make connections between new ideas
Working with others:
- Be willing and able to reach an agreement through compromise
- Learning with and from others
- Review and improve
- Prioritise the most important things to do
- Addressing the Following Key Elements
- Mutual Understanding
- Personal Understanding
- Cultural Understanding
- Media Awareness
- Moral Character
- Personal Health
- Spiritual Awareness
Providing opportunities for the development and assessment of communication skills
The opportunities for development of communication skills included in each section outlines how the suggested pupil activities can be used in developing and assessing the cross-curricular skill of communication.
Each activity will have a special assessment focus on either talking and listening, reading and writing, as well as containing elements of all three.
The requirements referred to are taken from the draft Levels of Progression in Communication.