Learning to plan
Planning requires thought about:
- what we are going to write;
- how we are going to write it; and
- how we are going to structure it.
Pupils often forget to give enough thought to structure, but it is critical in creating impact on the reader. How information is revealed to the reader often plays a critical role in the reader’s judgements about characters and their behaviour.
These tools can encourage pupils to collaborate with each other on creating stories
Practising the skills of drafting
- write an additional paragraph about the holiday and select places to cut or edit; and
- model writing by using one paragraph of this piece and Thinking Aloud to explain the choices made.