Communication Training Modules
Module 3 - Internal Standardisation
This module is only to be used by the Assessment/Literacy Co-ordinator to lead teachers in the Internal Standardisation process. It will help you to set up Internal Standardisation procedures in your school.
The Literacy and/or Assessment co-ordinator will:
- become familiar with the need for Internal Standardisation;
- be aware of the procedures required for effective Internal Standardisation; and
- be confident to lead Internal Standardisation procedures.
Before the meeting
During the meeting
Ask your teachers to complete this task:
Task 1: Discuss the benefits of Internal Standardisation
Task time: 30 minutes
Discuss the benefits of Internal Standardisation. For example:
- continuing professional development for teachers;
- engagement in professional dialogue;
- highlighting progression of skills and areas for improvement;
- promoting effective planning, teaching and learning; and
- celebrating achievement.
Ensure that there are enough copies of pupil work for all teachers. The context in which each piece of work was completed should also be available to teachers. You may wish to use a Pro Forma template below or an alternative template created by your school:
- Foundation Stage Assessment of Reading (Using Foundation Stage Continuum)
- Foundation Stage Assessment of Writing (Using Foundation Stage Continuum)
- Key Stage 1 Assessment of Reading (Using the Levels of Progression)
- Key Stage 1 Assessment of Writing (Using the Levels of Progression)
- Key Stage 2 Assessment of Reading (Using the Levels of Progression)
- Key Stage 2 Assessment of Writing (Using the Levels of Progression)
As this process acknowledges the professional contribution of each teacher, engagement from everyone is important. Advise teachers that differences of opinion may occur. When this happens, it is important to refer to the statutory The Levels of Progression for Communication Key Stage 1 and 2 and to the CCEA Task and Exemplification Library, as required.
Teachers discuss each piece of work using the Expansion of the Levels of Progression in Communication across the Curriculum: Primary (Levels 1 to 5) and the Ready Reckoner to guide decisions and agree on the final level. You may also wish to consider where the piece sits within a level.
Come to a consensus for each piece of work and record the decisions for internal reference purposes. (This process should take at least one hour for each mode, but this depends on the number of pieces that are being used.)
After the meeting
You may wish to:
- create a school Communication folder for reference, using the pieces agreed at the Internal Standardisation meeting. You may wish to add CCEA exemplification material to this folder;
- consider whether it is necessary to revisit this area of focus at a subsequent meeting;
- reflect on the levels of pupil work in your own school. How does this inform future planning?;
- if only a small group within a large staff was involved in the Internal Standardisation meeting, plan how the operation and outcomes of this process can be disseminated to the other members of staff;
- identify any members of staff who require further support; and
- plan for the next stage of Internal Standardisation in your school.