Assessment in Practice
Making Summative Judgements
We asked teachers in the schools involved in this project:
- how they made a summative judgement about a pupil;
- what evidence they used to do this;
- how long it took; and
- whether they experienced challenges when making their final decision.
- Plan for assessment opportunities.
- When planning an assessment activity, ensure that it has sufficient scope for pupils to access the level or levels that you are expecting for Communication.
- Use the Levels of Progression for Communication to set your success criteria for the planned assessment activity or CCEA Assessment Task.
- Keep a log of the CCEA Assessment Tasks or other assessment activities that you have carried out with your pupils throughout the year and your assessed outcomes.
- You may wish to use superscripts to chart progression and range within a level.
- Carry out a range of assessment activities that are meaningful and in the context of your cross-curricular planning.
- Plan to use a range of Reading activities and Writing in different genres to give breadth to your assessment of pupils.