The Arts is an Area of Learning in the curriculum. It has three strands: Art and Design, Drama, and Music. The Arts develops children’s creativity and encourages them to express their ideas, feelings and interpretations of the world through pictures, sound, drama and dance.
Teachers should enable children to develop knowledge, understanding and skills in:
In the primary curriculum, The Arts provides opportunities for children to develop:
- their curiosity, imagination and creativity;
- their self-confidence and self-esteem;
- their artistic, musical and kinaesthetic abilities, including gross and fine motor skills;
- verbal and non-verbal modes of expression;
- an appreciation of the beauty and wonder of the world around them;
- their ability to make informed choices and decisions; and
- an awareness of other cultures.
For more information on The Arts, contact: