Level 2 Space Science Technology (2013)
Please note that the last opportunity for assessment for this qualification is Summer 2021; after that, the qualification will be withdrawn. In 2020 and 2021 the assessment is available in Summer only.
The CCEA Level 2 Certificate in Space Science Technology is an innovative course that explores how space science technologies are impacting our daily lives while enabling us to explore beyond planet earth.
Learners can study the night sky, considering why distant light is so appealing to mankind. They can explore the history of space exploration and enter the new dimension of the ‘space race’, where commercial companies compete to offer their services and products in space science technologies.
Assessment is based on eportfolios that show how learners have met the assessment criteria. There is no examination or test.
There are three mandatory units:
- Unit 1: Human Space Flight
- Unit 2: Mapping with a GIS
- Unit 3: Technology Impact on Society.
Learners must also choose three of the following five optional units:
- Unit 4: Distant Light in the Universe
- Unit 5: Composite Technologies and the Aerospace Industry
- Unit 6: Location Aware Computing
- Unit 7: Using Satellite Data
- Unit 8: Remote Sensing of Earth and Space.
Skills developed through Space Science Technology
This qualification encourages learners to:
- develop skills in using scientific methods of enquiry;
- develop skills in using geospatial data;
- develop STEM skills to use in space science technology;
- gain an understanding of the role played by space science technologies in industry;
- gain an understanding of how space science technologies contribute to the economy;
- study the exploration of the Cosmos;
- gain an understanding of how space science technologies affect everyday life; and
- apply their skills and understanding to citizen space science technology projects.
They can also develop skills that will enhance employability by investigating local companies involved in the aerospace industry.
Lost your CCEA exam certificates? Information and help with replacement certificates, certified statement of results and/or updating your details.
Quick Guides to the Curriculum for Parents
What to expect when your child starts primary and/or post-primary school. Download our resource(s).