GCSE Health and Social Care (2017)
The CCEA GCSE Health and Social Care specification provides opportunities for students to develop a broad knowledge and understanding of what is required for working in the health, social care and early years sectors.
In particular, they learn about:
- human development through the main life stages and age ranges;
- factors affecting health and development, including behavioural, environmental, physical and socio-economic factors;
- how relationships influence social and emotional development;
- how a range of factors influence self-concept;
- major life changes and sources of support;
- how health and social care services meet a range of service users’ needs;
- barriers to health and social care services and how they can be overcome;
- job roles of a range of practitioners and how they apply the values of care in their day-to-day work; and
- the importance of safeguarding in health, social care and early years settings.
This specification is unitised, so it is possible to take part of the assessment at the end of the first year of study.
The specification has two units:
- Unit 1: Personal Development, Health and Well-Being
- Unit 2: Working in the Health, Social Care and Early Years Sectors.
Skills developed through our GCSE Health and Social Care
This specification supports the Northern Ireland Curriculum at Key Stage 4 and gives students further opportunities to achieve their potential and develop skills for life. These skills include Communication, Using Mathematics, Using ICT, Self-Management, Working with Others and Problem Solving. Students develop these skills by:
- analysing issues and problems;
- identifying and recording relevant information and evidence;
- analysing and evaluating evidence;
- planning and carrying out practical activities;
- making reasoned justifications and presenting conclusions; and
- evaluating outcomes.
Treoir Ghasta ar an Churaclam do Thuismitheoirí
Cur síos ar a mbeadh súil leis agus do pháiste ag tosú ar an bhunscoil agus/nó ar an iar-bhunscoil.
Lost your CCEA exam certificates? Information and help with replacement certificates, certified statement of results and/or updating your details.
Quick Guides to the Curriculum for Parents
What to expect when your child starts primary and/or post-primary school. Download our resource(s).