In Employability, pupils have opportunities to explore a range of topics and develop Whole Curriculum Skills and Capabilities. Pupils learn about:
- Work in the Local and Global Economy
- Career Management
- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship.
This subject strand aims to ensure that pupils develop the personal qualities, skills, knowledge, understanding and attitudes that will give them a strong foundation for lifelong learning and work. These are important for all pupils, whether they go straight into the world of work or to further/higher education after they leave school.
Teachers should give pupils the opportunity to explore relevant, real-life contexts that are based on the statutory requirements. These should help them to develop a range of Whole Curriculum Skills and Capabilities and encourage them to:
- learn about different career options;
- discover what their skills and personal capabilities are;
- recognise the importance of choosing a fulfilling career and enjoying work; and
- make informed career choices based on their knowledge about the world of work.
For further details, see the Statutory Requirements for Employability at Key Stage 3.