There have been numerous reports, both local and national, which outline the importance of digital skills and how they are becoming a vital and ever growing part of modern life.
In particular, the House of Lords report entitled “Make or Break: The UK’s Digital Future” highlighted the impact of changing technology on the labour market and warned that we are not addressing the significant digital skills shortage.
Some of the points raised in the report were:
- “Digital literacy should be taught as a core subject alongside numeracy and literacy.”
- “Digital and technology skills complement numeracy and literacy.”
- “Increasing the number of women in digital jobs could reap significant economic growth.”
- “There are not enough apprenticeships in digital subjects.”
- “There is a shortage of medium and high-level digital skills in our workforce.”
- “The entire workforce will need to embrace technological change and acquire new and differing levels of digital skills.”