Children and Young People Living in a Digital Environment
The opening animation, Digital Footprint is courtesy of the BBC OWN IT series.
To explore the topical theme of Children and Young People Living in a Digital Environment, Koulla Yiasouma, the NI Commissioner for Children and Young People (NICCY) and CCEA joined together to host the second live chat for primary and post primary pupils and teachers. Koulla was joined in the studio by Wayne Denner and two members of the NICCY Youth Panel, Hanna Sabu and Abby Horner, who both asked and answered questions during the webinar. Wayne is an expert on the challenges children and young people encounter in a digital world. He helps pupils learn how to better protect themselves online and how to use social media and digital technology responsibly so they can enjoy the fully benefits and opportunities that it offers.
Pupils explored the topic by sending in questions directly to the panel. These ranged from the opportunities the digital world brings to the dangers it can present. The discussions covered areas such as:
- How digital skills and the digital environment are key aspects of the Northern Ireland Curriculum;
- How technology can support and improve learning experiences;
- Safe internet use, including cyberbullying, digital footprints and the right to privacy;
- Social media and its effects on relationships and self-esteem; and
- Media literacy such as spotting fake news.
A full report of the FAQs and additional information will be added at a later date.