CCEA has a designated team of 5 officers who provide a wide range of support for special and mainstream schools in all aspects of SEN.
- research and development of curriculum, assessment and qualifications;
- training and professional development; and
- advice and in-school support.
Special Educational Needs courses in your organisation
The team has a range of courses available that can be delivered on request within your organisation. The courses are an initial introduction to each topic and will last approximately 1 hour. In each of the courses, participants will:
- be given an overview of the topic and relevant research;
- become familiar with the current requirements of the Northern Ireland Curriculum as it relates to the topic; and
- be signposted towards available resources
Courses available are:
- Gifted & Talented
- Q Skills Assessment Framework
- Quest Assessment Framework
- Statutory assessment using the Levels of Progression
- Social Emotional Behavioural Difficulties
- Thinking Skills & Personal Capabilities
To book a course, email email@example.com or for more details telephone 028 9026 1252.
Other training resources
We are developing a range of training resources that will allow you to avail of some of our training in your own time and at your own pace. These resources can be used as an individual or as a co-ordinator to facilitate a training session during directed time.
The prerequisite skills (Q Skills) online training course is now available for all teachers of learners with special educational needs (SEN) who are building their skills towards Level 1 on the Levels of Progression. The course provides training on the Q Skills of Communication, Using Mathematics and Using ICT. It also includes advice for Assessment Coordinators and a PowerPoint which they may use for their own in-school training needs.
This course is available to all teachers in Northern Ireland and is an excellent way to get a quick refresher on what the thinking skills are and on how to use the SEN Thinking Skills & Personal Capabilities framework within your school. There are also resources for coordinators to run a directed time session.
A range of CPD resources have been designed to complement the videos that form CCEA’s A Window On Special series. Schools may find it useful to use these CPD resources in training sessions with staff.