Technology and Design
The study and practices of Technology and Design help us to make sense of the world, including both the practical issues of design and their close relationship with the values of society and in considering how the products of culture enrich experience.
The Key Elements provide a means for connecting learning in Technology and Design to Learning for Life and Work.
The Key Elements that Technology and Design contributes to more fully are:
- Personal Understanding;
- Personal Health;
- Media Awareness;
- Employability; and
- Education for Sustainable Development.
For more information on Technology and Design contact:
(028) 9026 1200 ext. 2632
Sample Unit of Work
Acoustic Audio Amplifier
Suggested Year Group 10
This sample unit of work has the following resources:
Design template for an iPhone 6s Use the design template to make an amplifier as an example.
A3 Blank Design Sheet A3 Blank Design Sheet for pupils to complete during the design and manufacturing stages. There is also a design book for pupils to fill in. Pupils complete the design sheet on a computer or by hand, depending on the number of computers available. This is in addition to the design book. Alternatively, you could use this sheet without the design booklet as a stand-alone piece of work. The design sheet could be completed on the computer or hand drawn, depending on the availability of computers in the school.
Exemplar Audio Amplifier testing sheet Pupils should use this sheet to record the decibel level of the phone without an amplifier and then with an amplifier. Ask your pupils to download an app, such as Decibel Meter, that records decibel levels.
Design and make an acoustic amplifier for a handheld device or mobile phone.
In this project, pupils use a range of materials to design and make an audio amplifier.
- work out their ideas using exact measurements taken from their phones, then transfer these measurements onto the material for processing;
- take into account:
- how the product will be used;
- who will use it;
- the process used to manufacture the product to a high standard; and
- the finish and appearance of the final product;
- develop their understanding of designing and making and enhance their practical skills; and
- have the opportunity to use computers in the design and manufacture.
Opportunities to develop Skills and Capabilities
During the design and manufacturing processes in this topic, pupils will have opportunities to:
- demonstrate practical skills in using a range of tools, machines and equipment safely;
- research and manage information effectively to investigate design issues, Using Mathematics and Using ICT where appropriate;
- show deeper understanding by thinking critically and flexibly, solving problems and making informed decisions, Using Mathematics and Using ICT where appropriate;
- demonstrate creativity and initiative when developing ideas and following them through;
- work effectively with others;
- demonstrate self-management by working systematically, persisting with tasks, evaluating and improving own performance; and
- communicate effectively in oral, visual (including graphic), written, mathematical and ICT formats showing clear awareness of audience and purpose.
Opportunities to develop subject-specific skills and capabilities
- identify problems; and
- investigate, generate, develop, model and evaluate design proposals, considering form, function and safety.
Pupils use freehand sketching, formal drawing techniques and ICT tools, including 3D modelling.
- select and use materials fit for purpose;
- use a range of tools and processes appropriate to materials safely; and
- demonstrate accuracy and quality of outcome.
Pupils incorporate control systems, such as mechanical, electronic or computer-based, in products and understand how to use these to achieve desired effects.
Useful web links to support the Unit of Work
The following links are examples of different designs and materials for a docking station:
Model Making Examples
These sites are useful for the model making in Lesson 1:
Please review all links to judge their suitability before using them with your class.