Jump to navigation
What is Diagnostic Assessment?
- Diagnostic assessment is closely related to formative assessment.
- However, unlike formative assessment, which looks forward to consider next steps, diagnostic assessment looks back to understand the pupil’s current position.
- It often takes place at the beginning of a learning programme and can be used to identify pupils’ strengths and areas for improvement.
- It can also be used to identify the nature of a pupil’s learning difficulties and form the basis for interventions to address the learning difficulties identified.
- This information should be shared with the pupil to plan the next steps to improve their learning.